Father’s Day Recipe with Ironclad Pan Co
28 Jul, 2023
Treat Dad to a home cooked meal this Father’s Day
There’s nothing nicer than enjoying a home cooked meal to celebrate special occasions with family. Why not treat your Dad (or Grandad, husband or son) this Father’s Day to a meal that everyone loves, pizza! Read on to discover our recipe for a homemade version you cook in a cast iron skillet pan for an elevated twist on a classic dish.SHOP GIFTS FOR HIM
Homemade Margherita Skillet Pizza
Making pizza provides an opportunity for the whole family to get involved. While Dad’s reading his new book or watching the rugby, gather the family together in the kitchen to begin pizza prep. And the great thing about making pizza is you can add whichever toppings you like best. Our recipe is for a traditional margherita pizza which is beautifully simple, or go wild and add pepperoni, mushrooms, artichokes and fresh rocket.SHOP KITCHEN & DINING
Skillet Pizza – The Ingredients
2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour or flour of your choice
2 tsp fine sea salt
250 grams pizza dough (as above)
¼ cup pizza sauce
¼ cup fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
4-5 fresh basil leaves
Skillet Pizza – The Method
1. Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
2. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, or until it becomes frothy and bubbles form.
3. Gently stir in olive oil.
4. Add 2 cups of flour and salt and mix with a spatula until a ball begins to form (dough will still be slightly sticky). Add more flour as needed to form a dough ball.
5. Transfer to a floured surface and knead into a smooth dough, adding up to ½ cup extra flour if needed.
6. Optional. If desired, cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and let it rise for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Skillet Pizza – The Assembly
1. Turn the oven grill to high. Heat a cast-iron skillet on the stove, over medium-high heat.
2. Transfer pizza dough onto a floured surface. Gently press the pizza dough with your fingers into an 8-inch circle. Sprinkle some flour if needed to prevent stickiness.
3. Have your pizza sauce and ingredients prepped and ready close by. Once the skillet is hot, place the flattened dough onto the skillet. Stretch out the dough a bit more to let it spread over the entire skillet. Quickly add the pizza sauce and spread evenly over the pizza crust. Place sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and basil leaves evenly on top.
4. Leave the pizza to cook on the skillet for 5 minutes or until the bottom of the crust starts to brown.
5. Place the cast-iron skillet under the preheated grill and cook for 3 minutes or until the crust is blistered and slightly charred. Watch the grill carefully because the intense heat can make pizza crust burn quite quickly.
6. Remove the skillet from the grill and transfer the pizza onto a parchment lined cutting board. Slice pizza into 4-6 pieces with a knife or pizza cutter, serve and enjoy!